I was looking for a cabinet or table to put next to my BBQ that I could install my outdoor amp and Apple AirPort Express into. This is to allow me to stream music from my iMac to my outdoor speakers.
I found the Bekvam Butcher’s Trolley at Ikea…it was perfect for the
AirPlay Ikea Butcher’s Block Hack!
$69 in Canada.
On to the Hack!
- MA2 Outdoor Receiver / Outdoor Amp / Marine Amplifier from www.outdoorspeakerdepot.com $79.95
- Apple AirPort Express – Old version $69.00 http://store.apple.com/us/product/FB321LL/A New Version $99.00 http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC414
- $10 power bar
- 10 feet of grey 1 inch PVC conduit – $8 at Home Depot
- Outdoor Speakers and wire which I’ve also had for a few years
- Stain and Butcher Block Conditioner
1. Before putting it together I had to cut holes for the amp and the wires.
6. I installed the components and connected the wires.
The finished product in place!
The AirPlay Ikea Butcher’s Block streams music from my iMac to my outdoor speakers all controlled by my iPhone and/or iPad.
…it’s also a table…
Homemade pizza about to go onto the grill.
Check out the video.